uSOURCE is a replacement for UShop, which was decommissioned in May 2015. See http://www.procurement.utoronto.ca/usource for more information.
uSOURCE is the University’s online web-based e-procurement system that enables faculty and staff to purchase goods and services used in their day-to-day work. uSOURCE is the preferred method for departments to purchase goods from Approved Suppliers, while the Purchasing Card, the Imprest Bank Account and Petty Cash can be used for smaller purchases.
uSOURCE has built-in approvals and controls that adhere to the University’s purchasing and payment policies. The cost of purchases is charged directly to FIS accounts to reduce administrative efforts even further.
The following sections cover policy, approval rules and provide links to additional information:
University of Toronto
- Active faculty and staff, including graduate students paid from HRIS, have a uSOURCE account, accessible with their UTORid, that at a minimum allows them to see approved supplier products and pricing, and to select from available products that meet business needs. In uSOURCE, this user role is called a Shopper.
- Additional system authorizations to create a purchase requisition, or approve a requisition thus creating purchase order, will be granted to users by the Procurement Services System Administrator, based on signed User Change forms and Fund Center Workflow forms, found on the Procurement Services website. Authorization forms should be signed by the owner of the affected Funds Center(s):
- The owner of an operating Funds Center us usually the Chair/Director of the unit.
- The owner of a PI Funds Center is the principal investigator.
- Purchasing approval may not be delegated to a student under any circumstances.
Every Fund Centre used in uSOURCE must have an approval rule. The approval rule establishes the name of the Fund Center owner and/or their specified delegate(s), and the dollar thresholds that are delegated. Any requisition that is submitted to approval workflow by users other than the approver or their delegate(s) will trigger a notification, and require a separate approval step, prior to the automatic creation of the purchase order.
Owners are not necessarily approvers in uSOURCE. System Approvals may be delegated.
Users in uSOURCE
- Every user with access other than Shopper, must register for access to uSOURCE through submission of a signed form to the Procurement Services System Administrator;
- A user cannot charge any purchases to accounts they do not have authorization to access;
- The confirmation of goods receipts may also be “delegated” as a separate activity to individuals who will be receiving delivered goods.
Approval Rules – Operating Accounts
- Chairs and Directors may choose to delegate approval to an administrative staff member (e.g. the unit’s business officer);
- The delegated approver must be a registered uSOURCE user with approval system access;
- The set approval levels are specific to the Funds Center and may not be changed by an individual user;
- Approval levels may be set as low as $0.01, in which case the Funds Center approver would need to approve any shopping cart before a purchase order was issued.
More Information and Registration
To learn more about uSOURCE and to access training material and forms, go to the Procurement Services website.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions page on the Procurement Services website, or contact for additional information.
Last revision: May 29, 2015