Automobile and Meal Per Diem Rates for Travel
The Financial Services Department periodically conducts a review of reimbursement rates to ensure the University adequately reimburses faculty and staff for reasonable amounts while representing the University or traveling on University business. This includes a review of both the automobile and meal allowance per diem reimbursement rates.
After performing a detailed review of the current meal allowance per diem reimbursement rates, the meal allowance rates will change to $80 CAD (Breakfast $15; Lunch $20; Dinner $45) for travel in Canada and $100 CAD (Breakfast $20; Lunch $25; Dinner $55) for travel outside of Canada effective for all reimbursements made after January 31, 2020. For long-term travel in excess of 30 consecutive days in one location, the meal allowance rates will be reduced to 75% of the applicable per diem rate. The last time these meal rates were changed was in 2008.
After reviewing current Ontario CAA driving costs, comparable Ontario University rates, and CRA’s tax-exempt allowances rate, the kilometrage rate will increase from $0.54 per kilometer to $0.57 per kilometer for all reimbursements made after January 31, 2020. The last time this rate was changed was in 2016.
Any kilometrage and meal expenses incurred before February 1st, 2020 will need to be reimbursed at the prior rates, while those incurred after should be reimbursed at the new meal and kilometrage rates.
For the most up-to-date per diem rates, please visit this GTFM page.
- Memo – Automobile and Per Diem Rates for Travel
- GTFM Policy – Travel and Other Reimbursabel Expenses – Policies and Guidelines
- GTFM Policy – Reimbursement Rates
- Reference Guide – ERDD (Web) Create
- Reference Guide – ERDD Create
- Simulation – ERDD Create
- Reference Guide – FB60 -Expense Reimbursement Single Currency Create (Cheque)
- Simulation – FB60 -Expense Reimbursement Single Currency Create (Cheque)
- Resource – Expense Reimbursement Checklist – Template