Note that the reimbursement rates of the granting agency guidelines (or a specific research award) will apply if they are lower than the University rates.
Use of Personally Owned Vehicle
- The kilometrage(*) rate allowed for use of a personally owned automobile while on approved University business is 57 cents per kilometre effective February 1, 2020 (see memo dated January 27, 2020)
- Note: Multiply miles by 1.609 to convert to kilometres.
- This allowance is intended to cover all automobile operating costs, including gasoline, insurance, repairs and maintenance.
Per Diem Meal Allowance
A fixed allowance covering meals and incidental expenses (e.g. gratuities for housekeeping services and bellhops, etc.) may be claimed, without receipts, in lieu of specific expense reimbursement, in Canadian dollars, effective February 1, 2020 *, as follows:
|In Canada||USA or International|
|Breakfast||$15.00 CAD||$20.00 CAD|
|Lunch||$20.00 CAD||$25.00 CAD|
|Dinner||$45.00 CAD||$55.00 CAD|
|Total Daily Allowance||$80.00 CAD||$100.00 CAD|
For long-term travel in excess of 30 consecutive days in one location, the meal allowance rates will be reduced to 75% of the applicable per diem rate.
* per diem meal allowance rates prior to February 1, 2020 were $55 CAD (Breakfast $11; Lunch$17; Dinner $27) for travel in Canada, and $75 CAD (Breakfast $15; Lunch$22.50; Dinner $37.50) for travel outside of Canada.
Please note that it is not permitted to claim a full day per diem when at a conference if the conference fees include a meal component, or if travel begins in the middle of the day.
The maximum rate for accommodation with friends or relatives while on approved University business is $30.00 per night. There should, of course, be no hotel expenses claimed for the same time period.
* The term kilometrage is used throughout this guide, rather than the old term mileage.
Last revision February 1, 2020